Despite many, many states standing up against Critical Race Theory, some states are embracing institutional racism, such as the state of Washington under the guise of “cultural competency”:
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. (1) The legislature finds that state resources have been invested to:
(a) Identify model standards for cultural competency;
(b) incorporate these cultural competency standards into both the standards for effective teaching and the standards of practice for paraeducators;
(c) develop cultural competency training programs for school district staff from paraeducators to administrators; and
(d) develop a plan for the creation and delivery of cultural competency training for school board directors and superintendents.
(2) The legislature plans to continue the important work of dismantling institutional racism in public schools and recognizes the importance of increasing equity, diversity, inclusion, antiracism, and cultural competency training throughout the entire public school system by providing training programs for classified staff, certificated instructional staff, certificated administrative staff, superintendents, and school directors that will be provided in an ongoing manner.
This is not only bad, but likely illegal according to the Washington Policy Center (via Legal Insurrection):
- Lawmakers are considering three bills to impose Critical Race Training on Washington’s public education institutions.
- Much of the Critical Race Training curriculum required by these bills is untrue, false, and destructive.
- Critical Race Trainings require people to publicly profess their racial and sexual identities, and then be labeled as either “oppressors” or “oppressed.”
- According to Critical Race Training, all white heterosexual men are “oppressors” and certain minority groups are “oppressed.”
- These bills violate Washington’s Civil Rights Act, the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Washington State and U.S. Constitution.
- The bills violate workers’ First Amendment rights by compelling speech or by suppressing their legitimate views and opinions.
- Critical Race Training undermines the friendship and trust that make a caring and tolerant society possible and would make the problem of racism worse.
Lawmakers are considering bills to mandate Critical Race Trainings; SB 5044, for staff of K-12 public schools, SB 5227, for staff of public colleges and universities, and SB 5228, for students at Washington’s public medical schools. In addition, SB 5228 would establish illegal quotas for admission to medical school based on race.
At public hearings, lawmakers received the following analysis about these bills.
- Prominent black, Hispanic, and Jewish leaders are speaking out against this racial training curriculum as harmful to their children.
- The bills violate the Washington Civil Rights Act, which provides: “The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.”
- The bills violate the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the 14th Amendment’s guarantee of “equal protection of the laws” to all citizens, regardless of race, ethnicity or national origin.
- The bills violate workers’ First Amendment rights by compelling speech in mandatory training sessions, or by suppressing their legitimate views and opinions.
- The bills would create hostile work environments in Washington’s public schools, public universities, and public medical schools.
- The bills would promote feelings of fear, alienation, and rejection in students and teachers because official policy would judge them based on appearance rather than their work experience or abilities.
Enacting a government policy of judging others by their appearance will likely lead to more conflict and legal challenges in the state’s public education system.
People pushing “anti-racism” like to posit a manichean false dilemma falacy of either “White Supremacy” or an equal and opposite “Anti-Racism” supposedly equalizes outcomes to create “equity”, and dismiss being non-racist as “racism” because they view “BIPOC” and “Whites” as inherently different based on race essentialism and that a “White society” is inherently “racist” and must be stomped upon the face by a woke boot forever.
Pingback: In The Mailbox: 05.18.21 (Evening Edition) : The Other McCain